from: Media Ethics: Cases and Moral Reasoning. Christians, Clifford. 2001.
I read over this quote a dozen times and each time I finished reading I felt something different. Disgusted, understanding, confused, angry, annoyed, all of the above.
However it wasn’t until I was walking down Main Street, where stores have already begun decorating for the holiday season and the surrounding trees are lit up I began to feel hopeful. I started to realize that even though companies may benefit from giving, I’m hopeful that, as humans, their primary motivation is to help the recipient.
When I began researching what kind of gifts companies give it only furthered my hope for humanity in the business world.
Giving Companies:
Home Depot- Home Depot donates materials from their stores to Habitat for Humanity to help build homes, employees even volunteer to help with the process.
Below is a video by Habitat for Humanity where Glen Bailey describes the impact of corporate giving:
Exxon/Mobil: Exxon donates large amounts of resources to help protect tigers, their company logo, and their environment.
Coca Cola Company: Coca Cola partners with the World Wildlife Fund to help support polar bears by taking action to reduce human impact on global climate change.
Now, I know that these companies give strategically. Meaning, they expect some return for their donations, whether it’s positive recognition or a tax deduction. However, I have faith that their initial reasoning for giving is to better the recipient and the environment around them.
Strategic giving might sound a bit negative and manipulative, but when you take some time to look at the cause there’s no way the company heads are only in it for their benefit.
Here are some websites that write a little more on the benefits of company philanthropy:
PR Blog
Overtone Communication
Philanthropy as Public Relations:A Critical Perspective on Cause Marketing
Katie Keane

No comments:
Post a Comment